Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My Kindergarten Grad

 Kaitlyn had her Kindergarten graduation ceremony today.  The kids sang some very cute songs and afterwards got their diplomas.  I did fine until the last song...a song of farewell, then my eyes welled up with tears.

Yikes! My baby will be in first grade!  She came home today asking when she starts first grade and when I explained it wouldn't be till after summer is over she started to cry. She's in such a rush and I just want things to slow down.  I feel like there will be nothing "little girl" about her anymore.  I mean, she will always be my little girl, but her days will be filled with school all day and homework, and reading...to herself. Also the influence of older kids. ((sigh))

Kaitlyn had a great year in Kindergarten.  She made many new friends, fell in love-lol, had an awesome teacher, whom she  adored and so did I, and I'd say it was a very successful year!  She is adding and subtracting, she was placed in the top reading group, and improved greatly with her writing.
              Kaitlyn and her teacher, Mrs. Evan at field day.
Here are some journal entries from the beginning of the year:
And here are pages from the end of the year:
 (you probably will need to click and enlarge that one to read it)
Anyway, I think that is a huge improvement and I/we are so proud of her!
  
 Just 1 and 1/2 days left (or about 3 1/2 hours, for Kaitlyn), then I will officially have a 1st and 3rd grader!  But I am more excited about summer break!

4 comments:

Jennifer @ A Fine Romance said...

Aw, this will be us next year! I thought that I'd be ok with it but I am becoming more and more anxious and sad! :( Nicolas has full day kindergarten so this is it! Why do they grow up so darn fast?! Cute pics! :)

Karen said...

It saddens me that I missed almost of a year of Kaitlyn & Nathan's lives with cancer. I missed Kaitlyn's 5th birthday party, their school events, couldn't take care of the kids since January 09. They are only little once. No second chances, or reruns. It was sooo precious to be there this year for birthdays, school events, and just experience the joy of their brief time when they are little. It's hard, when you were there when they were born, have been watching them since they were 6 weeks old, pick them up at the bus stop, help with homework, read and cuddle with them, have dinner together... then missing a year. Yesterday when I saw Kaitlyn and they sang "Goodbye, farewell." it made me feel grief for this year I missed, but getting to see the end result of her year of kindergarten was so sweet! I can't bring it back, but I'm not going to ever take for granted a day I have left to spend with them....making precious memories!! Gramdmom

Amy said...

okay, your mom's comment is making me cry. now I forget what I was gonna write....
but I am so proud of all the little kindergarteners I know. It really is remarkable looking at the change in Kaitlyn's writing!!

Karen said...

Kelly,

As quickly as this time is going by with Nathan and Kaitlyn, you and Norm have done an exceptional job raising them. All of the outside influences, I am sure, will bring with them many challenges, but it is these first, formative years, that you have laid the groundwork for all their future decisions. Congratulations to Kaitlyn and to you!