Thursday, March 3, 2011

What's for breakfast? Homemade Granola

Norm and I love granola, but it is one of the pricey cereals and they always come in small boxes.  I got this recipe from my friend Julie, and have tweaked it a bit to make it to our liking.  You can find the original recipe here.

I've made just a couple of changes.

Homemade Granola
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

You need:
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup real maple syrup
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract


       Combine those in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.  Turn down heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes stirring often
In a large bowl mix 4 cups rolled oats, 1/2 cup shredded coconut, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 Tablespoon of cinnamon.  Also stir in any dried fruit and nuts that you want to add. (I use raisins and slivered almonds)
       Pour the honey mixture over the oatmeal mixture stirring well to coat all the dry ingredients.(I like to make this when Norm is home so he can pour while I stir and turn the bowl)
       Spread onto a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  I try to keep it from touching the edges because I think it browns it too much there.
       Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. (I took mine out at about 17 minutes)
It will still feel soft when you take it out.  I found that the key to having the bigger clusters of granola is to press it down in the pan with a spatula right after you take it out.  It will stick together and crisp up as it cools.

 When it is completely cooled, break apart and store in an airtight container.


It's delicious!  And much cheaper than buying a box at the grocery store.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

That looks delish! You are so right - a tiny box is insanely expensive. I will definitely give this a try!