Saturday, March 12, 2011

Mission organization:Kaitlyn's bedroom


Kaitlyn's bedroom is puny!  Yet, what started out as just straitening up a bit in her room, turned into hours of cleaning and purging.  I thought Nathan was the collector, but Kaitlyn is just as bad.  I soon realized that, even after getting rid of a lot,  we've maxed out just about every bit of storage space in her little room.  I really didn't take before pictures, because I didn't realize we were going to do so much.
This is Kaitlyn's closet.

There was stuff covering the floor in there and the shelves just had random piles of  hats, scarves, craft kits and clothes that she had grown out of or hadn't grown into yet.
Luckily, her closet is laid out so that we can keep her spring/summer tops out and just hang them on top.
I bought those bins at Walmart (2 for 5$) And we organized all her stuff in them.
Looking at this picture makes me want to go up there and group the different color hangers together!
She had several boxed craft/jewelry kits that I took out and put in this 2$ organizer.

I bought this at goodwill for 97 cents.
I sprayed it white and now her cd's are not taking up space on her bookshelf.
I had my brother-in-law make this nightstand last year for Kaitlyn.  It also serves at toy storage.
We've utilized the space under the bed,
and over the bed, 
I've rearranged this corner of the room a bit to make a better spot for the bean bag chair.
Before

After
I wouldn't say that it created any more room, but now I can open her bottom drawer without that bean bag in the way, and it created a little reading nook for her.
Her room has been yellow and has pretty much had the same decor since she was born.
I told her that if she can keep it neat and organized till her next birthday (almost a year away) that we can paint and redecorate her room with new curtains, bedding and decorations for her birthday.I'm looking forward to doing that.  I hope her ideas mesh well with mine.

I don't see us finding anymore space in this room, so I'm thinking there might be a loft bed in her future!
Something like this:
But with a full bookshelf on the end instead of the drawers. Hmmm....might be a project for dear old Dad!

4 comments:

Karen said...

Looks good Kel! Was this before or after the sleepover? Mom

Amy said...

Looks great! ... But if you get her to keep it neat and organized for a whole year, I will be amazed!

Karen said...

I love the loft bed idea. Kaitlyn and Becca's room are definitely space challenged.

Teresa said...

I love her room! Very cute and girly....something that's lacking a bit around my house!
That loft bed looks like a very fun way to make more space. You'll have a great time doing her makeover next year.