Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Baby gift

Today I spent way too much time making a baby gift for a friend at work who had a baby girl in July. I told her I wanted to make her a gift and I figured I better get to it since she is due to come back to work soon, and I still hadn't made it. So today I went out, got the supplies, and made it!
 I had the frame already, as well as the ribbon, I just picked up the wooden letter a piece of scrapbook paper and the flower embellishment, also from the scrapbook section of the craft store.  I had seen the baby's room and knew what colors would match. I sprayed the frame and the letter white and sanded the edges a bit,  cut the scrapbook paper to size and put it in behind the glass, and hot glued the letter and the flower right to the glass.
I wasn't sure the glue was going to stick well.  I've used hot glue on glass before and it peeled right off.  Well, let me tell you, my first attempt at gluing on the letter was a bit off-center and once that glue hit the glass, it wouldn't budge!  I tried everything to get it off, and finally ended up heating up a metal putty knife with my blow dryer and wedging it in behind the letter to melt the glue.  That worked.  And then I ended up cracking the glass while trying to scrape off the glue. Phooey!  I swiped a piece of glass from another frame I had and attempted again very carefully placing the letter in the middle. This time, success!


So with that being said, this is very easy and quick....if you get your placement right the first time with the glue.  


This is a great personalized gift for a new baby or even a little girls birthday.  You could make it for a boy as well, or customize it for a wedding gift with a last initial.

I think this would look adorable hanging from a glass drawer knob on the wall or the door to her room.
I hope Mamma Jesse and baby Tala will love it!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Good job Kel- very Pretty!! Mom

Unknown said...

Super cute--and brave of you to post BEFORE giving the gift! Guess the mommy is not a blogger, huh? :)
Kelly

Amy said...

Kelly, I am just going to have to steal this idea ... I have 3 friends who are having babies in the next 6 months!