Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Wii need a timeout!

So we got a Wii for the kids for Christmas.  Actually, Norm and I really wanted one and we worked on convincing the kids that they wanted one too, until they were asking for it.  They've never had a video game system before, and I actually wasn't sure that they would be that into it, although I was hoping they would since most of the Christmas budget was spent on the system and games.  Well, they LOVE it! Especially Nathan.  It is becoming a problem.  He wants to play it in the morning when he has 20 minutes to spare before the bus, he wants to play it right after homework, and he wants to play it after dinner until bedtime.  I actually had trouble getting him to come outside and play Saturday when it was nice because he wanted to play Wii.  Usually I can't keep this kid indoors when the weather is nice!  This is new territory for us. I've let it go for too long thinking the newness would where off and he wouldn't want to play so much but I need to put my foot down.  I've already had to use a timer so that Kaitlyn can get a turn, but I need to set some limits on how much time per day each child can play it.  Just how much time is reasonable to allow each kid to play per day? 1/2 hour?  Is that unreasonable? Does anyone else have a rule like this?  He doesn't understand why he can't play if all his work is done.  I would much rather him spend time drawing, building with Legos, or re-arranging his pokemon cards in his binder for the 10th time.  I worry that he'll lose some brain cells spending too much time on video games.  It is nice that all of can play it together though. And I am glad we can play something other than Candy Land, Chutes and Ladders or Bingo on family game night. I just sort-of regret introducing the video games when they weren't asking for it. :-/

2 comments:

Amy said...

geez, I don't know. that is uncharted territory for us! but I agree there need to be limits. (unfortunately I have already started thinking about this cuz Carter LOVES to play computer games ... like father like son!) We actually put a password on the kids' computer because Carter figured out how to turn it on and click on his game and go! :-/ I kept finding him down there when I wasn't looking!!

Unknown said...

UGH! Our boys are all obsessed with video games too! We set a limit of 30 minutes per day, except saturdays when we allow unlimited play until noon. Unfortunately, when time is up, they usually try to move on to tv or movies or computer games or any other electronic device before choosing to play outside. When they ask (beg, plead, etc) why they can't keep playing, I tell them it's like junk food for their brain. It's not very healthy, so they can't have an unlimited supply. They seem to get that.