Saturday, January 16, 2010

Decrapification!

Yes, I know that is not a word, but I love it!  Stole it from one of the blogs that I stalk read frequently.  Check out Sarah @ ThriftyDecorChick.  Love her!
So anyway, that word (or not a word) pretty much sums up what I did from 9-3:00 today.  First I set out to organize the mess in my pantry.
 Gross, I know! Just keepin it real! And people actually see that if they have to find the trashcan.
Part of this is the result of my trying to be thrifty and stocking up at the grocery store when there is a really great sale.  There is just not enough room in here for everything and I realized that there is a lot of extra stuff that doesn't really need to be in here.
Overstock pantry items get stored in the laundry room.  They are on top of the refrigerator and the rest is piled up on top of the cooler next to the refrigerator. Soooo, I needed to make room for more extra pantry items down there first, which led to me spending half the day decrapifying the laundry/storage room.  I didn't take a before picture since that room wasn't what I originally set out to do, but let me tell you, it was a mess.  I took everything out of half of the room, which cluttered up the rest of the basement for a while, but this is what I need to do to thoroughly purge and clean.  I vacuumed every crevice to get rid of cob webs, lint balls from the dryer and dead (and living) spiders EEEwww! I had some storage drawers I wasn't using which was great for those extra pantry items.  I scrubbed all the grossness off the refrigerator, washer, dryer and storage shelves, and  threw out a bunch of junk. 

ahhh, much better!  That is as pretty as a basement room with cement walls and floors and exposed studs, pipes, and wires can get!
I need to get a couple more of those storage drawers. My dream is that we can finish off this room eventually.  Not sure how we would go about that ourselves and still have access to all the important pipes and electrical stuff.
I did my part!  Now hubby can tackle this:
and this:
Good thing I can always do this:
I will post pics of the organized pantry tomorrow whenever I get around to organizing it!

2 comments:

Karen said...

I love decrapifying stuff. Great job Kelly. It looks great. Loved the pictures and the closed door. I laughed out loud at that one. For someone who didn't have plans this weekend, you sure are getting a lot accomplished around the house. Hope tomorrow is just as productive.

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Ahhh it feels awesome!! You have a huge pantry compared to mine! :)