I feel like the garden in the corner of my yard has been an eyesore for the past few years. When we first moved in, I ordered a bunch of perennial bulbs for a shady corner garden. I thought it was fail-proof since it was laid out by a diagram and guaranteed to have something in bloom all season. Ever since then, I've been pulling out things that I don't like, or have become overgrown and some plants just never came up in the first place. I knew very little about gardening then and for all I know, I may have put bulbs in upside-down.
Now 12 years later, I still don't know much about gardening. It's been all trial and error, but I think my thumb is getting a little greener. This was my corner garden last September:
It was an overgrown mess of green then with nothing in bloom but my morning glorys (not pictured, but growing up the fence to the left of the bird bath) oh, and there is the mulch that never got spread. That bush got pretty variegated pink and white blooms in May but it got too large to be manageable and kept growing to far over the fence into the neighbors yard. We decided it had to go!
Here is that corner today:
It looks so much bigger without the bush. We replace it with one of those cute weeping cherry trees. We took up all the old mulch and spread weed barrier and laid new mulch. I also split up some plants. Some of them might come out and get replaced as the season goes on. Everything is just coming up now so they haven't filled out and bloomed yet. I can put some things there that can handle more sun now since that bush pretty much blocked a lot of it before. It's a work in progress. I dream of having a bed here full of flowers blooming all season long. What are your favorite flowers?

2 comments:
I think you should plant a thousand zinnias!
It looks great, Kelly. All fresh and neat and ready to do its thang!
Felt sorry for the bush, but it does look much better! Mom
Post a Comment