Tuesday, February 8, 2011

a new approach to kids chores

I'm trying out a new chore chart for the kids.  It's online!
I first read about it over at How Does She and I decided to give it a try.  My chore chart failures in the past are largely due to me not keeping up with it, making new charts every week and seeing to it that the kids do their chores.  I guess I feel like when I tell them to do something day after day, shouldn't it just be a habit by now!?! ((sigh))  I'm afraid that just doesn't work in this house.  The kids need more of an incentive.....Enter-My Job Chart.  It's free!


I think this just may work!  I set up a job chart for both of the kids. It was easy!  You can assign an amount of points for each job. You can specify, morning, evening or both, once a week or certain days of the week, and certain jobs can be extra that they can earn bonus points for. Certain things that are expected of them daily (brush teeth, comb hair, etc.) I assign a small amount of points, the bigger jobs (or the ones that usually take a bit more persuading) I give them more points. Once you have it set up, put a shortcut on your desktop.  It is easy for the kids to log on and checkoff the jobs that they have done. 
You can even have it set up to notify you when jobs are completed.  You can set a point amount for a special reward.  They suggest Amazon cash, but I just put in my own reward, like going out for a special snack when 500 points are reached. I think one of the best parts for me is that it is once and done....I don't have to redo the chart every week and at any time I can add jobs or change the points or rewards.  The rest is up to the kids to do their jobs and log on to check them off and earn their points.  We've only been doing this for 2 days, but so far, so good!
Maybe I should set one up for myself!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ooooo....this looks fun. I'm going to check it out.

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

This is really neat. Great find. Thanks so much for sharing this.