Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Mission organization: the kitchen

Ahhh, it's the little things that make me happy!

Like an organized pantry.
It still looks packed, but I got rid of and rearranged a lot! How long are you supposed to keep spices??

And newly lined drawers and cabinets.
I've been meaning to do this for years! I started last week and ran out of liner, got some more today and ran out again! 40$ later (5.74/roll) I still have 2 sets of cabinets to do! Ugh!  This took forever too. 


Since I had to take everything out of the drawers and cabinets, I took that opportunity to weed out all the dishes, cups and gadgets I do not use.
It's nice to actually see some bare spots in my cabinets and drawers!

I even came up with a plan for this wasted space:
 There is about 2 feet of space in this cabinet, and only about a 9 inch opening to get to all of it.  Who was the genius behind that idea??
I would like to take off that solid panel, but we've addressed this before, and the problem with that is the cabinet does not go all the way to the wall.  So, I think we can cut out part of the panel, trim it out with molding and build a couple of open shelves for baskets.  We will see what hubby thinks of that idea. I hate wasted spaces!

It's a bummer I couldn't finish today, but what I've accomplished is such an improvement.  I guess it's back to Walmart for more shelf liner this weekend!

2 comments:

Teresa said...

Your pantry looks gorgeous! Doesn't it feel good to have it all organized? I would imagine it does, though I don't know from personal experience. The floor of mine seems to be the dumping ground after a trip to Costco and now I'm just kind of used rummaging around till I find what I need.
I love your basket idea! I'm sure your hubby will think it's the thing to do. After all, any fella who makes peanut butter pie for Valentines Day sounds like the kind of guy who also likes honey-do kitchen projects as well.
And don't even get me started on your trip to Homegoods. I've only been once, but I would so love to have one around here! I loved every single thing about it.
I'm officially jealous.

Amy said...

Oh to have that large of a pantry!!! (and all in a closet!)