Sunday, April 25, 2010

What's for dinner? turkey meatloaf

I've tried some recipes with ground turkey that come out dry and flavorless.  But I have a couple of recipes that we love and make again and again, and it's healthy to boot!


This turkey meatloaf  recipe was given to me by a co-worker.  She wrote down a rough estimate of the ingredient amounts.    
This is for a 2 lb meat loaf.  I made 1 lb. so, obviously cut the amounts in half for 1.


2 lbs. ground turkey
1 packet good seasons Italian dressing mix
1 tsp. fresh parsley (I used dried)
1 tsp. fresh basil (I used dried)
salt & pepper to taste
1 can diced tomatoes w/ onion & garlic with the juice-Giant brand (I've used petite diced tomatoes w/out the garlic & onion and it's just as good) 
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
2 eggs
1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
I know not all ingredients are pictured, but I think these are the important ones for this.  You can tweak the rest if you like, but I think using all the ones listed makes this delicious.


Mix ingredients all together in a large bowl.
Form into a loaf and place in a shallow baking pan.
I use one especially for meat loaf that lets the fat drain off.  Not so necessary for turkey since there is very little fat, so any pan will do.
At this point, I like to cover and refrigerate till I'm ready for it.  I like this meal because I can prepare it early in the day and just pop it in the oven when I'm ready.  


 Bake at 350 for about 1 hour (a bit longer for 2 lbs.) or till internal temp reaches 160 degrees.
I top  it with  spaghetti sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan on top for the last 10 minutes.
My kids love this! And I'm glad that they are eating something so healthy.


The leftovers make a mean meatloaf sandwich too!
Sharing this at Tempt your Tummy Tuesday,and Tuesdays at the Table

No comments: