I just hadn't seen anything I liked that was the length I wanted. My kitchen is pretty neutral, but I have been adding pops of red, which I love.
I found these kitchen towels a couple of weeks ago.
This came with 2 solid red ones for 5$ at Kmart.
I really liked the print, so I figured out how to make a valance out of 2 of these towels.
So I went to Kmart, got 2 more packs and got to work.....hoping it would turn out like it did in my mind. And guess what??
It did!!
So, basically I figured the length that I wanted and allowed for a fold-over at the top for the rod pocket, then I cut the tops off 2 towels, then cut one towel in half.
Sewing is just not my thing, so heming tape was my savior for this project.
I basically just ironed them together with hemming tape, folded over the rod pocket and ironed that with the hemming tape and did the same with the raw edges on the sides.
Then I did hand sew a couple little gathering pleats along the seams where the 2 sides were attached.
Then I realized I ironed shut the top slit for the rod to go in.
Duh! So I just cut a slit.
I hung the valance and added some ribbon I had that has a burlap look to it and whala! This is my first attempt at window (mis)treatments! Not bad, right?
Some may say I could have been more frugal and spent a lot less then 10 if I would have just found some cheap fabric that I liked. But I figure I only spent 1/3rd of that on the curtains since the 2 packs of towels came with 2 extra each. And I like the fact that my towels coordinate with my curtains!
I'm linking this to Frugal Friday over at The Shabby Nest

7 comments:
How pretty, Kel! I love them!
You did a great job Kel!! It's sooo pretty!! Mom
Wow, beautiful job Kelly!!! I love them! No one would ever know that they had been Kmart kitchen towels in a previous life...you're so crafty!:)
Outstanding. You certainly have the touch.
Way to think outside of the box! :o) They look very nice!
Looks great! Love the pattern and colors.
I really like these a lot. Have never attempted anything like this myself and you make it look easy. Nice job!
Post a Comment