Saturday, December 5, 2009

Let it Snow!


Nothing like a little snow to make it feel all Christmas-y!

We got our first snow of the season today.  It was so pretty.  The kids were excited, but surprisingly they did not ask to go out and I wasn't feeling the need to bundle us all up either.  I knew it wouldn't amount to much. The kids would probably get bored with no snow mountains to climb on. There will be other snow falls....I hope.


Well, I mustered up the courage to make a gingerbread house with the kids again this year.  If you refer back to last years post here, you'll know why I needed courage.   I thought I would get a simplified version with only one color icing to make it easier.  The kids were chomping at the bit to decorate it with the candy while I was putting the walls and roof together.  They decided to "organize " the candy while waiting, which resulted in many tiny candy balls rolling all over the dining room floor.  Grrrrr! They pick them up and I preceded to icing the house to get it ready for candy.  I cut the tip slightly too big for outlining the smaller stuff. Grrrrrr, again!  I put the bag into one of my disposable pastry bags with a small tip and continued.  Then my pastry bag split  open on the side.  Double grrrrrr!  Change the bag, again, and precede.  The kids are now decorating as I go.  I'm encouraging them to practice their patterns, but it is not working (let it go, Kelly.  Let it go.) We managed to finish the house without me totally losing it, despite the bag splitting one more time, so I will call it a success!  The kids used all but a few candies, that they wanted to save for a snack.  
 


I think I will learn some tricks each year to make this go easier, so I won't give up.  The kids enjoy it too much.



They were spoiled by Uncle Josh tonight while Norm and I attended a Christmas concert a Valley Forge Christian College with my parents.  It was excellent! And free!  I would definitely recommend all you local, music lovers to check it out next year.  It is a mix of orchestra and choir and even a bell choir.  They end the concert with excerpts from the Messiah, Beautiful! 


Maybe there will still be some snow around tomorrow to play in! We'll see!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Loved, loved, loved it !! All but the jazz ensemble. They were 2/3 of the way through before you could recognize what song they were even playing! Excerpts from The Messiah with a 85 member choir-THE BEST!! Mom

Karen said...

What a great gingerbread house. Ours is not quite so symmetrical. We decided that we would just let each kid have one side of the house to do with what she wanted. It is very clear who did each side. But, that is the fun of it! Nice snowman in your back yard today too!

Amy said...

I laughed out loud at your "let it go Kelly, let it go" comment. I made gingerbread cookies with Audrey the other day and had to say that to myself a few times :) But I have to say, every year I get better at letting it go as I'm sure you are too! By the time Chloe is older I will be perfectly relaxed. I will let her go hog wild and not even try to correct her once or care that frosting is all over the ceiling ... well, we'll see, lol!