Sunday, December 7, 2008

A lesson in patience

Today I had planned, what I thought would be a super fun activity for us to do as a family..........Making a gingerbread house!! Yeah!! We've never done it before, but I had won it in a Christmas gift basket from a raffle and was looking forward to trying it this year, as were the kids. So after lunch today we took everything out to start the process. Looking though the directions, I thought "this shouldn't be too hard", I knew we would probably make a mess, but oh well. Then we got started. There wasn't much for the kids to do till we got the house together and ready to decorate...so this was a lesson in patience for them. We got the house together without too much trouble............ Then it was time for me to decorate with the icing. Here comes my patience test. I lined the roof and all the seams-easy! Then it was time to switch icing tips......well the tips are in the bottom of these disposable bags......um, this one was still full of icing, so I get a new bag, rip the tip out of this one, and try to squeeze the icing from this bag in the new one.....here comes the mess (there's got to be an easier way-clearly, I do not use these very often). There were three colors of icing and not any extra tips, so I repeated this process for 2 other colors. Then there were times when the icing gets too warm and starts getting drippy, so I would put the bag in the freezer. When it's too cold, it wasn't sticking! It was getting very frustrating!! Norm couldn't help but laugh at my grunting. I restrained from throwing the whole thing out the window. Finally, I was ready to let the kids decorate with candy. I tried to get them to use the picture on the box as a guide, but after a while, I had to let go and say.....WHATEVER! I guess the finished project didn't turn out half bad, not perfect of course, but oh well! And I warned the kids that I have pictures of the finished product and would know if there was any missing candy. Also, they just can't believe that we will just throw this away after Christmas, and not eat it! (You don't eat it, do you?) Although this gives me a laugh now, and the kids had fun......I am not amused enough to do it again next year! Notice-Kaitlyn, again, in her princess attire.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Oh Kelly, it turned out SO CUTE!!! :) You really have to try again next year. Just use the Wilton kit next time (only ONE icing pack!) Ours always looks like icing exploded all over it, but I say it just looks like it snowed a lot :) BTW, I also think it's gross to eat the g. house, but Chad likes to pick candy off of it as December winds up. (Not to mention that our kit has been sitting around since last year when I got it on clearance!! That's some OLD gingerbread!) :)

Karen said...

This looks great. It is 100% better than ours looked last year. We only had one icing color. Picture this. It looked like it had snowed but the temperature just hit 74% outside and it is all melting. That is what ours looked like when it was finished. White blobs of "snow" with candy pieces that the colors bled all over. Oh well, Emma had a great time making it. We are going to try this at Brian's brother's house when we go for our visit. Great job to you all. Nothing to be disappointed in at all.

nateandkatesmom said...

Thanks Karen and Amy! I'm not disappointed. I think it turned out cute too! Maybe we will try again with an easier kit next year. I just got frustrated with all the icing.....You all know I don't bake unless I have too, so I don't icing things very often.