Monday, June 8, 2009

simple fun

I love how some simple things are so exciting when you are young! Just to name a few from this week...... Kaitlyn's parent/teacher conference was on Friday. Mrs. Hunter had nothing but wonderful things to say about Kaitlyn. I was very proud (and a little bit like "are we talking about the same child??" j/k...lol). We had to stop at the grocery store on the way home from preschool and I told Kaitlyn we could get a special snack to make. She chose Birthday cake. (as if we haven't had enough of that in the last couple of weeks) So we made a Birthday cake together. I told Kaitlyn we could celebrate her "Un-Birthday", like in Alice in Wonderland. We did candles and all! The kids wanted to paint the other day.....an activity that makes me cringe. Nathan was talking about a video he had seen in art class on Eric Carle's paintings used in his children's books. He was explaining how he sometimes just "splats" the paint with the paintbrush in his paintings and Nathan wanted to try that. Since it was raining, and that would definitely be an outdoor technique, I pulled a few things together from around the house that they can try to paint with: Q-tips, craft pom-poms, toothpicks, pipe-cleaners, and paintbrushes. I spread a disposable tablecloth on the dining room table and they had a blast creating their artwork with the different techniques. Of course....I was still cringing, but smiling at the same time...they were having so much fun! Oh yeah, that's why I don't get the paints out too often! As I said in a previous post.....we were going to Chuck E Cheese this weekend since we did not go on Nathan's Birthday. My cousin, Sherry, brought Tyler and Brianna to meet us there and the kids had a blast! Now that's some REAL fun! The simple part was, although we spent money on a ton of tokens for all the kids, they seemed perfectly happy spending all their time in the totally tubular climbing structure that is free! Sherry, Norm, and I ended up playing lots of games to try and use up tokens and win tickets for them. Fun was had by all! Today ended up being very hot, or at least I thought it was. Kaitlyn wanted to go swimming in our kiddie pool. We have a large kiddie pool that is inflatable, and since it would take forever to blow up and fill, we came up with an alternative. I was just rinsing out a big red bucket that we used to use for our outdoor toys. Since we got a new storage box for that today, I suggested filling up the bucket for her to climb in. She was happy with that and thought it was perfect.....Just her size! Then when Nathan came home they used it to fill up their water guns and had a water fight with Daddy. Fun, fun, Fun! Oh, to be a child again and get so much joy from these simple things! At least I get to see it through their eyes and that brings me so much joy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you are such a fun mom!