Thursday, June 4, 2009

cross-polenation??

I noticed something strange in the beginning of spring this year. The rose bush that looked like this last year: ....looks like this, this year: Hmmmm. I chopped a good bit off of the rose bush at the end of the season last year, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. My neighbor has a dark pink rose bush like this one so I'm thinking it was cross pollinated by the same bees. At least that's my guess.....makes sense right? I can see the original rose bush starting to bloom in front of it. Pretty cool, huh?

4 comments:

Lisa - Fine Sweet Life said...

That is too cool. which color do you like better?

nateandkatesmom said...

I think I like the pale roses better, because they look more like roses and they don't seem to wilt as soon after they bloom. It will be cool when they are both in bloom at the same time. I'll have to post another picture.

Jennifer @ A Fine Romance said...

Wow, either color is really pretty Kel! Love the trellis... =) How long did it take you to get the bush to be so big? I'd like to find something fairly fast growing. My thought it to put 4 -5 trellis' on the side of my garage to make it a little more appealing to the eye...

nateandkatesmom said...

Jen, I don't remember when I planted that, but it grew pretty fast. You have to prune it if it starts growing in the wrong direction. That's why I had to cut so much down in the fall. But the one that planted itself this year has really taken off. It was growing out to the side too much. The trellis was one I was eye-ing up at Colonial gardens and Norm got it for me as a gift.