Sunday, September 21, 2008

Discoveries

We took advantage of this beautiful day to take a nature hike along the river trail in Valley Forge Park. We have not walked along this trail before, but it is very nice. It runs right along the river and there are several spots to go down close to the water and explore......one of the kids favorite things to do. Along the path and near the water we made several discoveries. We saw animal prints....(mostly from dogs, but the kids thought they were wild animal prints) some deer prints, a dead mole, some cool bugs, and in the water we saw lots of snails, minnows, a huge crane-like bird, some frogs and a snake skin. It was a very enjoyable and peaceful time for all of us...with the exception of a little bit of drama over one unidentifiable object that fell from a tree. Both of the kids wanted one and that was the only one we found. We managed to leave the park with only a few souvenirs. We are definitely a family that loves the outdoors and exploring Gods great creation. My old Pastor died on that trail. I think he knew it was going to happen. His wife said he used to go there to talk to God. I can see why as I walked along the trail with the sound of flowing water and church bells in the distance. Where there are snake skins...there are snakes. I walked along the rocks a bit more cautiously after this discovery. The unidentifiable bumpy thing that fell from a tree.......Anyone know what it is?

4 comments:

Amy said...

I see tons of those bumpy things on the way to Audrey's school in the fall. All over the road in fact! (Right on the way to your parents' house actually, on Clothier Springs) I haven't seen any yet but when I do, I'll pull over and bring you home a whole basket full! HAHAHA. Okay, just maybe a couple for the kids :) I love that path you walked on, we did it once. Of course then Chad wanted to walk over Mt. Doom or whatever they call it... I agreed, but he ended up having to carry BOTH the kids up the hill :)

nateandkatesmom said...

I always see the bumpy things there too, but I never knew what they were. I like to smash them with my car though. LOL I didn't know that the hill was called Mt. Doom...Norm has mountain biked there, he mentioned about a skinny little trail at the edge of a rocky hill....guess that's why they call it Mt. Doom

Unknown said...

such pretty pictures. I love fall.

Karen said...

Looks like you all had a terrific day. Great pictures too!