Usually I can make a pack of sweet Italian sausage last for two meals. In the past I've used regular Italian sausage to make both of these meals but this time I thought I'd try it with Turkey sausage. What do you know!....It was cheaper and it is healthier, and I can still get 2 meals out of it...for a family of four, that is.
Italian Turkey Sausage Bake
1 package of Italian Turkey Sausage
1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
1 box of rotini noodles
Ricotta cheese (if you like)
Shredded mozzarella cheese
Cut up your Italian sausage. I only use half but you may need more for a bigger family. I find it much easier to cut frozen so I cut half and put half back in the freezer for another dinner. Earlier in the day I cut it into bite size pieces while it is frozen and the casing comes off easily this way too. I stick the pieces in a baggie into the fridge so that it will thaw a bit before dinner. When I am ready for it I cook it up in the skillet with just a bit of water while you are boiling your pasta (I use half the box, or about 2 cups of pasta). When the sausage is just about done I drain off the water and stir in the sauce over low heat. I just use enough to coat everything, plus a little extra. At this point you can doctor up your sauce like I do with any spices you like. I also like to stir in a couple big dollops of ricotta cheese, but you can leave that out if your not a fan.
Drain your pasta and stir them into the sauce mixture. Transfer into a 2 qt. baking dish or an 8x8 dish, sprayed with olive oil. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the noodles and bake at 350 degrees just till heated through and the cheese is melted.
My kids love this!
Serve it with some garlic bread or salad.
Dinner #2
Italian Turkey Sausage Pesto
Cut up and cook the rest of the sausage the same way. Mix with 2 cups cooked rotini and a couple of good size spoonfuls of pesto. I just use the kind in the jar. Heat through on the stove top and serve. Stir in some grated parmesan cheese...as much as you like! Easy! Serve with a vegetable.
No comments:
Post a Comment