Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Tis the Season!...

....To be sick!  Every. Single. Year. I get a cold Christmas week.  The kids had it first, now me.  Yesterday I started to run behind at work because I had to keep stopping to blow my nose and wash my hands. Today is not quite as bad and the kids seemed to be ok now.  My poor nieces are sick with the stomach bug, so I am praying that everyone is better by Christmas!

....To be busy, busy, busy.  
At home-cleaning decorating, cooking and baking and preparing to entertain guest.

At work-This is our busiest time of year!  Not that I'm complaining....It's nice to bring in some extra money to make up for all that we are spending this time of year.  Just makes for an exhausting day. 

At play-lots of parties going on.  We had Nathan's Cub Scout party last Thursday night. 
Nathan and his buddy, Clay
 Friday afternoon, I hosted our annual neighborhood Christmas party/book exchange.  The idea of having it on a Friday afternoon, was to try and keep it a bit more low key....but really, how low key can it be with 19 kids in your house ranging in ages from 1-10?  It's a bit stressful for me, but the kids had a blast!
Emma, Audrey and Kaitlyn
Pin the nose on the snowman
Getting ready to play a pass-the-present game
Kaitlyn trying to guess who her secret Santa is
The kids have their school parties tomorrow.  I am looking forward to helping in Kaitlyn's class.  They will get to sleep over Grandmom's house tomorrow night and on Christmas Eve, after I work a bit in the morning, we will head up to a Christmas lunch/party at Norm's cycle shop.  Then we will spend the evening at my in-laws.  Christmas day I will have my family here for dinner, then we will head up to my cousin's house in the evening and hang out with the extended family.  This is all fun stuff, but I am looking forward to next week when things slow down a bit and the kids are home.  

....To be grateful.  It seems like so many people lose sight of what Christmas is all about, in the midst of all the parties and gift buying.  Stop and think about all that you are blessed with this Christmas.  There are so many needy families, hungry children, people who have lost loved ones or who have very ill children or family members, men and women who are away from their families, serving our country, think about the families who are missing them.  I know I have soo much to be grateful for this Christmas.  I can celebrate the birth of my Savior with my healthy family in a warm home. 


I wish all of you a very merry Christmas full of peace, joy, and love!

4 comments:

Amy said...

It is so true what you said about being grateful at this time of year. I just heard about a college friend who is literally on his death bed right now with cancer. I keep thinking about and praying for his wife and 3 kids... they already had their "christmas" together because they don't know if he will make it. And here I am moaning about being tired and up at night with a teething kid. It just makes me thankful for what I have, even if it isn't "ideal" circumstances!

Teresa said...

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. I think you deserve extra points for the neighborhood party! I agree...no such thing as low key with a houseful of kiddos.

Karen said...

Thanks for helping pull me back in to reality. I was just saying to myself in the kitchen at 10:00pm while I was trying to get some cooking done for the weekend that I really want to not get hung up on all the non-important details this weekend and really enjoy being together as a family. Who cares if the house is a mess and the kids get to bed late? Like you said, we are healthy with food on the table and a warm house to sleep in. Thanks Kelly.

Karen said...

We all need a reality check once in a while. So many times we complain about such trivial things that are so minor. If you have a warm roof over your head, your bellies are full, you have money in your pocket because of a steady job, and your family is healthy....
consider yourself blessed!!! There are those who live in shelters or on the streets, don't know when they will eat, those jobless or may not have a job after the holidays, and many will loose a loved one before Christmas, perhaps, due to disease or illness. May we thank God for giving us Baby Jesus, and for provision beyond measure at Christmas, and every day of the year. Merry Christmas everyone!
Mom