Last night I lost my dear friend and neighbor Hilary very suddenly. An ambulance showed up in front of her house earlier in the evening while we were at another neighbors birthday party. I offered to take Brianna, Hilary's 4 1/2 year old daughter home with us to spend the night so Vince, her husband, wouldn't have to worry about her. I assumed they would spend several hours in the ER and then maybe she would be admitted, or even better, treated and released. I never thought that at 10:45 pm I would be told that she had died. It was determined that she died of a pulmonary
embolism. We (her neighbor friends) were
devastated, in shock, holding each other and sobbing. The worst was knowing her little girl, sleeping in my house is now without a mother. I was asked to not say anything to Brianna and play it cool till her father gets to her. That was incredibly hard, since I wanted to break down and cry every time I looked at her. We made it through till 1:00 or 1:30-
ish without her even asking about her Mom. All the other neighbors were great and offered their help and support. We just kept her playing and having fun. Karen
Martz went with me to deliver Brianna to her father. Vince seems to be holding up
ok, at least from the few times I've talked to him today. I know he has to be falling apart inside. He has told Brianna and says that she seems to understand, but I think it's going to take a while to really hit her. I know it's going to be a struggle for Vince to be a single father and pick up all the things that Hilary used to do. She did the bills, cooking housework and all the things that Mom's do. She was a wonderful person and will be missed very much! Please pray for Vince , Brianna and the rest of the family. Rest in peace Hilary!
1 comment:
Kelly, I also just wrote a post on my blog about Hilary. Thanks for all you did this weekend; I know it was hard.
Post a Comment