Friday, July 2, 2010

Surviving summer

It is the end of our third week of summer break.  I've really have been enjoying having the kids home.  They have been doing lots of swimming, have had some play dates, trips to the library to do crafts and take out books, gone to playgrounds, enjoyed afternoon's outside playing with the neighbors, riding bikes, catching fireflies and getting to stay up later. Of course, summer can't be all fun and games. 

Enter  chore charts:
I have used many methods in the past to force encourage the kids to do chores; marble jars, reward coupons, sticker charts, but I think the kids are at an age that a simple chart should be sufficient.  The problem with my past methods is my failure to stay consistent.  I am determined to stick to it this summer.  I already fell off the wagon last week when Nathan was in cub scout camp and was coming home hot and tired everyday, and it was harder to get Kaitlyn to do stuff knowing that Nathan wasn't doing his share.  But this week has been better.  
On their charts are certain things that they are expected to do everyday, without being rewarded, listed as a reminder. There is also reading and worksheet time, then there are the chores that they can do to earn an allowance for the week. These might be switched around each week for each child.  Then there are the extras, not listed specifically, which may be something else that I ask them to do, or something they do without me asking.  It could also be an act of kindness that deserves rewarding.  For now, I am keeping track of their earnings so that they can use it towards souvenir money when we go on vacation. So far (with an exception of last week) I have not been met with too much resistance with the chores, and they are actually starting to become a habit.  
If the kids complain that they are bored, I'll give them a chore to do....therefor,  I've had less complaining  about being bored too! I plan to modify their charts and try to stick with it when school starts.  Ask me how it's going from time to time, so that I will feel accountable.

This system will be great for all of us.  I'll get some helping hands around the house, and they will learn useful skills, responsibility and how to work for what they want.  

Do you have a chore/reward system that works well for you and your children? Do tell! 

*I just thought I'd come back and update with a Nathan funny;
We were in the grocery store this morning and Nathan was pushing the cart for me. 
Nathan: "Mom can this be one of the extras on my chart."
Me: "Yes, but I think anymore poor behavior will cancel it out." (he and Kaitlyn were pushing eachother earlier in the store)
Nathan: (pauses) "I think you are just making this stuff up as you go along."

lol, I thought that was a pretty funny (and true) response! 

No comments: