Thursday, April 9, 2009

Miss Independent

So my 5 year old is a "do-it-herself-er", which is great....sometimes. She loves to pick out her own clothes, which aren't always appropriate, brush her own teeth and wash her hair, but she doesn't do a very good job, buckle herself in her car seat, which takes a while, and it's always when we are in a rush, and various other things. I should be embracing this independence, but sometimes it just makes me cringe. Yesterday she insisted on cracking and peeling her own hard-boiled Easter egg for lunch. 15 minutes later........ I offered to help several times, but she just kept telling me "I can do it myself!" I just had to take a picture of her mangled egg. She said "Why are you taking a picture of my ugly egg?" But she was very proud that she did it herself! Oh, well, it's her lunch, not mine! Of course there are plenty of times when she doesn't want to do simple things by herself too. I'm just happy she wipes her own nose and bottom. I know a lot of 5 year olds don't do that. Now if I could only get her to clean her own messes....for some reason she always need help with that....even though she made the mess all by herself. She is my helper girl. Even though it's not always convenient, I'm glad she likes to help-cook, dust, wipe things, do laundry and wash dishes. These are great things to be starting at an early age...maybe if we keep this up someday she'll say...."I'll do my own laundry, wash my own dish"...etc. Helping Daddy make Easter cookies Emptying the dishwasher and putting away the dishes

1 comment:

Lisa - Fine Sweet Life said...

I love the egg! Em asks to crack them all the time, but not peel. Too funny! She also helps fold laundry, and I have to wait until she isn't around to refold, because her feelings get hurt.