Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A prayer for Christmas

I love Christmas, and it's always a happy time of year at my house. It is just so nice to be able to be with family and friends this time of year. I've been thinking a lot the past couple of weeks about how this year will be very difficult for some families I know. My neighbors, Vince and Brianna, will be spending their first Christmas without Hilary. It will be very difficult for them, I know. This week some of my neighbors, and myself went to his house to decorate. Apparently it was a tradition in their house that, when Brianna went to bed, Vince and Hilary would decorate the Christmas tree and the rest of the house and Brianna would wake up and see that the "elves" have been there. Though it wasn't quite the same, she was still surprised when she returned the other night to find that the "elves" came and decorated and left cookies for them. I'm so glad that we were able to brighten their holiday a little bit. Please pray for Vince and Brianna this Christmas. Pray for Alexa Bailey(7) and Trey Love(2). Both are suffering with cancer (Neuroblastoma). Alexa is undergoing radiation this week and until Christmas for her relapse. She will lose her hair again, which is difficult in itself when your a little girl in first grade. Pray that the radiation will get rid of the rest of the tumor in her skull and that she will feel well for Christmas. Trey starts his stem cell transplant tomorrow. This is a risky process and he will need to be in isolation for quite a while, but in order for him to have a chance, he must go through it. Please pray for these little ones and their families. Visit the sites below to learn more about them or read updates. http://www.carepages.com/carepages/TheChemoKid www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexabailey And also pray for the family of Ronald Phillips, who passed just a month or so ago at age 13 from leukemia. His sister seems to be withdrawn and having a really hard time coping with the loss. His mother as well. I can't even imagine what its like for her. Thank you all for your prayers. My prayer for you all is that you will be surrounded with family, and friends, and LOVE this Christmas and that you do not get caught up in all the commercial things, like we sometimes do, but will remember the real reason we celebrate Christmas!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Kel, Thanks for the recap of how some of your friends' kids are doing. I'll pray for them. I can't imagine the holiday season after a loss ... or to be going through treatment over Christmas. Amy

Karen said...

Thank you for this Kelly. WIth all the stress of this time of year, it is nice to be placed back into what is really important. It doesn't matter that my tree is not taking water or that my Christmas cards are not even supposed to arrive until Christmas Eve or that we might not be able to travel tomorrow to Brian's family. Who cares!!!! Sometimes I need to be reminded about what is important. You have helped to do that and for that I thank you for the gift.

nateandkatesmom said...

Just an update...if you haven't looked at the carepage...Alexa's radiation has been pushed off till the 22nd. Now her mother is very worried that the tumor will start growing again, it's been a few weeks since she's last had treatment. Please also pray that the tumor doesn't grow.

Unknown said...

I've become very aware these past few years that the holidays are an extremely hard time for many people. And, the first Christmas without your husband or wife has to be one of the hardest things I can imagine. I will pray for your neighbor--that God would give him supernatural peace that could only come from Him this Christmas and that he would sense hope in a seemingly hopeless situation.