Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A Summer Wreath

I got my craft on a few weeks ago, and realized I never showed y'all my summer wreath that I made for my summer mantel.  My craft or decor post have been few and far between lately so I thought I'd share it.
  My best friend found those shutters at a flea market for me.  $20 for the set!  They make a perfect backdrop to fill some of that wall space above the mantel and to hang a wreath from.
I needed something lighter, and a bit earthy to go with my summer mantel.  I started with a styrafoam wreath form. (how the heck do you spell styrafoam? Spell check says it's wrong, but doesn't recognize the word!)  Then I wrapped it in jute till it was fully covered (took about one and 1/2 rolls).  I made the flowers out of fabric I had.
No step by step pictures for this (so un-like me) but all I did was cut the fabric in strips, length and width, depending on the size of flower circle I wanted, then I hand sewed a loose stitch along one side and pulled till it gathered, matched the ends up and stitched them into a circle.  I made some smaller ones in contrasting fabric for the middle and used buttons for the center.  I had some green ribbon that I cut into leaves.  I hot glued the letter B on the wreath and used straight pins to attach the flowers so I can change the wreath for the seasons, if I want.
I only have a few more weeks to enjoy my summer mantel.  As much as I love fall, my heart is still longing to be at the beach, so maybe I'll leave my seashells up a little longer this year!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Pretty, Kel! I love it! :)

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Super cute! I think the twine really makes it feel summery :)

xox